Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Babesia talk, all are welcome, space limited

ANNOUNCEMENT





I HAVE DECIDED TO OFFER A SERIES OF TALKS FOR PATIENTS AND OTHERS


PLACE: MY OFFICE, DOWNSTAIRS CONFERENCE ROOM
               15245 SHADY GROVE ROAD, ROCKVILLE, MD  (NORTH ENTRANCE)


DATE:  THURSDAY MARCH 24, 2016

TIME: 7PM

PLEASE CALL OFFICE TO RSVP, SEATING LIMITED,  301 528 7111


I will cover clinical features, diagnosis and treatment. I will be showing some slides of blood smears and discus the use of blood parasitology in making the diagnosis.


Unfortunately, one of the best tools for diagnosing babesiosis has suddenly been pulled from both LabCorp and Quest. The WA1 or B. duncani antibody test.  The B. microti test which is still offered although not as helpful. The vast majority of positive results, for years, have been B. duncani, the much more prevalent species. In 2011 a study found B. duncani in 2% of the general population and B. microti in 0.4% of the US population. B. duncani has a wide geographic presence, consistently seen along side Lyme in every locale. At this point I am only able to send this test to IgeneX for this valuable test.  It is available through a few other reference labs at a higher cost.

The withdrawal of the "WA1" test was  sudden and unexpected and without explanation. This is a real set back.




6 comments:

fatjack said...

Is the event going to be recorded and posted on the Internet? I live in California but am very interested in what will be discussed. I have had Babesia Duncani for over 5 1/2 years and have been treating it for almost 3 years.

Nora said...

I am very interested in this event. I live in CT. Please let me know if this talk is available online somehow. I have been struggling with Lyme over a year and i lost my job 7 month ago along with my health insurance. I am a single mom. I don't have any family or network as a support. I cant be sick I have to get better otherwise i am loosing my home and my children.
Thank you,

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed the Babesia talk, I live locally but just saw the post today. My daughter was diagnosed a year ago and despite several rounds of treatment is not better. Would it be possible to post a synopsis of the talk?

JeanneRos said...

Re the test for WA-1 being pulled by Quest and Labcorp. A gentlemen in the Maryland Lyme Disease group stated it had been pulled due to the reagent from the manufacturer being on backorder. Supposedly it will soon be back.

Lyme report: Montgomery County, MD said...

WAI, B. duncani testing available through LabCorp again.

Amelia Bethany said...

Before people said there is no cure for herpes virus but today many people have now believe that there is a cure, herpes virus can be cured through Africans roots and herbs, Dr.chala he is the one of the great herbal doctor in Africa and he has the cure on this virus last month he share his herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this virus when the cure have already be find by Dr.Chala email him on dr.chalaherbalhome@gmail.com or https://
drchalaherbalhome.godaddysites.com or https://mywa.link/dr.chalaherbalhome